Tuesday, May 1, 2018

"It's Cinco de Mayo somewhere, Sage."


If you're following me on social media, then you probably saw today's earlier posts:

Someone told me the other day that they don't read YA because "nothing bad ever happens to the characters." And I'm just like...

Now I feel like maybe I should write something even more throw-book-across-the-room than Shadow Kiss just to prove a point. Or at least post another pic of the ghost Mason doll. #toosoon #eventhoughitsbeeneightyears

Now, I know most of you found that charming and totally not traumatic at all. But apparently, not everyone shares that view. I was promptly chastised by one of my friends:

Why are you so mean to your readers? It's like you love their tears. You should write something happy, like about Adrian. Cinco de Mayo is coming up. Isn't it like his favorite holiday? Write a bonus about how he's celebrating.

Okay, let's break this down. In fact, let's just go straight to list mode.

1. First up, I do not enjoy your tears. They get all over the books and make them soggy. And then you're unable to reread those cliffhangers.
2. I feel like it's obvious how Adrian will be celebrating.
3. I'm at Yallwest in Santa Monica this weekend, so things are going to be busy. (And if you've missed me talking about Yallwest, then quickly check out that link and make plans to get to southern California so that you can meet a bunch of authors for freeeee...).

And yet, the more I started thinking about it, the more I realized it has been a long time since you've had a bonus of anything. And maaaaaaybe we all deserve something feel good.

But you've gotta work for it.

We haven't had a contest in a long time, and if I've got all this space in a blog again, then let's make use of it. The special thing about this contest is that it's only open for people going to Yallwest this weekend. Now, if you aren't, don't worry. There'll be other contests (for real), and I want to start small. Here's what you've got to do.

1. Write a poem about any book, character, series, or whatever in the Meadverse. It can be any type of poem of any length: blank verse, limerick, unspecified rhyme, haiku, whatever.
2. Write it on paper. I'm going to read these on the plane ride back to Seattle, and it's just easier for me to do that than a screen.
3. You may submit two entries. (I mean, it's a 2.5 hour plane ride).
4. Include your name and email address.
5. Give it to me in person at Yallwest. You can do it in my signing line, at a panel, or just when you catch me running around between events.

What's the winner get?

I will write a couple of pages about Adrian's Cinco de Mayo adventures. And I will write you into it.

Yup, you heard me. You can be a guest star in the VA world. I'll also put your poem and the excerpt up here on my blog for everyone to enjoy! For privacy reasons, my default will only be to refer to you by your first name. If you'd like your last name included, put "Okay to include last name" on your entry. Lastly, for good times, I'll also post some of the honorable mentions here on my blog.

So get writing! And I'll reiterate that your poem can be about anything in any of my books.

The prize involves VA/Bloodlines, but your entry doesn't get an edge if it's about that.
Here's a copy of my Yallwest schedule for attendees looking to find me:



Friday 6pm - Fierce Friday at the Santa Monica Public Library (the event is free, but you must register. There aren't many tickets left!).
Saturday--
12pm - Trivia with Penguin Books authors
1pm - "Sorry Not Sorry" - a panel on unapologetically ambitious heroines
2pm - Me, signing your books! You have to get a wristband for a spot in line. Check the schedule for when they've giving out wristbands--I think it's at 9am.
4pm - "Fantasy Histories & Historical Fantasies" panel

8 comments:

  1. dang! if i was anywhere near california i would so do this! also, i enjoy my tears! make me cry all day! hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too far away and my kids are in school still .

    ReplyDelete
  3. yayyy I'm going to be there can't wait to meet you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to write something great for you. After all, you are my favorite in the world. But every time I start write I think it would be mediocre to give to you because you're so good at writing. What should I do?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to write a good poem for you. After all, you are my favorite author in the entire world. But every time I think of something to write, I just believe it will be mediocre to what you would want me to do. What should I do?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to write something amazing for you. After all, you're my favorite author in the entire world. But every time I think of something to write, I believe it will just be mediocre in comparison to what the other people trying to impress you will be writing. What should I do?

    ReplyDelete
  7. But...but...but...! 😢 If I lived in the US I WOULD be there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is there anywhere to send you fan - not as part of this contest. Just would love to share it with you.

    ReplyDelete